Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Story of Trog aka Boys I'm Taking Charge Here

So back in October, while we were at CanAm, Kim and Duu-wain gave me a new flyball nickname.  Trog. 

At first I thought they said "Tron" which got me quite excited because that was a pretty great movie (the original, not the remake.  I heard the remake was not so awesome).  If only I had one of those bikes that appeared when you leaned down . . . man, that would be sweet.  But, no, it was not "Tron" it was "Trog" like "frog" with a "t" Kim said.

Now I didn't know what that meant.  Perhaps it meant something cool?  Anyway, I didn't have time to ponder such things -  we were playing flyball at the CanAm.  So I went about the day deciding conferring about lineups, ordering encouraging teammates to push passes, scolding consoling when we early passed and other sorts things a dictator team player does.

Since it was Saturday of the CanAm games,  clubs were pushing for their fastest times to get to the Invitational.  We came oh-so-close again to hitting the 16s with 4 Dogz, but instead of running really fast, we ended up running clean (even though we were trying for fast).  4 Dogz with Ballz placed 1st and Dogz in Da Hood placed 2nd. 

At one point during the day, Duu-wain went shopping and got me a present - a new shirt.  It was then when I started to suspect that "TROG" might not be such a good thing.

My new shirt.  I like presents.

But, getting a new shirt made me happy. 

Later that evening, when Kim popped in her iPod, I learned the true meaning of "Trog."  It stems from a Todd Snider song.  Todd Snider is a singer-songwriter and during his intros, he tells stories.  Trog is mentioned in several song intros, but it is in the song "The Story of the Ballard of the Devil's Backbone Tavern" that we first learn about Trog. 

Hmm, my teammates were trying to tell me something.  They knew from practice and tournaments, I tend to be bossy driven and controlling dedicated.  How could you not enjoy spending three days in a van with me!?  Hey, at least I didn't make you pee in a bottle when we were making good time on the drive to Indy!

So the nickname has stuck.  If you pass by our crating area at tournaments and glance at our job board, you may see "BY ORDER OF TROG."  And that's the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment