Sunday, August 29, 2010

Flyball is a Full Contact Sport

DR! returned to Huntsville August 14th & 15th for Texas Heat's Great Balls of Fire tournament.  In past years, the August tournament has been a little bit smaller since some clubs are still recovering from Reliant.  Not this year - there were something like 40 teams!

We took our regular traveling teams - 4 Dogz with Ballz and Dogz in Da Hood.  No new club bests, but a highlight of the weekend was Pooper (fka Velvet - see previous blog post) running in BOTH lanes!  Pooper is a smart dog, new to the sport and realized how much quicker it was to bypass the jumps when racing another dog.  Pooper only did this in the right lane.  With the help of Kim's agility expertise (normal handler Duwain was out braving the treacherous rapids on a river), Pooper ran pretty much error free.

Pooper did, however, need to break in her new handler.

 
It's all fun and games until somobody loses an eye

 Now the club *may* try to blame the injuries on me as I have been known for things like shoving teammates into to the ring gates (Marcy) and punching folks in the mouth (Kim), but there were very good reasons for my violence - 
  1. Marcy cut in front of me when we were racing (she forgot she was not running anchor).  I had a split second decision of her or me - I chose me. 
  2. During one of those "oh crap I think I am going to early pass" moments, I hesitated for a split second, threw my arms back and felt my closed fists collide with something . . . I thought "now that doesn't feel like a dog" . . . my suspicions were confirmed when I heard the scream
So despite my history, I promise you I was not involved in the recent bout of injuries.

Anyway, back to the topic of the tournament.  BOTH of our teams took FIRST place in our respective divisions (Regular II - 4 Dogz & Open II - Hoodz).  Yep, we rock.

Newer member Alissa caught the fast flyball dog bug by running the ride which we call Marz.  And if I do say so myself, she did a spectacular job!  Even got a 3.94 on the clock with him.  Awesome job Alissa!

Oh, and even though Duwain was not in attendance, we managed to get a sleeping beauty pic.  Though this one is staged, me thinks Kim did a great impersonation.  The ball cap and ever so slightly opened mouth seal the deal.


P.S. To go along with the Flyball is a Full Contact Sport topic, apparently Veronica may have a torn ACL.  How'd she get it?  My dog.  Yep, Marz is as gentle as I am with our teammates.

1 comment:

  1. Kim's lucky (or should I say I am) that you posted the staged sleeping pic instead of the one I took while she was napping with Ezri :)

    ReplyDelete